A A
RSS

Loch Aerie

img_2009

Loch Aerie, AKA Glen-Loch, AKA Lockwood Mansion was built in 1865 by William E. Lockwood, esq., a Philadelphia businessman, in Chester County Pennsylvania. It was designed by famed architect Addison Hutton with landscape design by Charles Miller, the Fairmount Park landscape designer. The design is described in the 1958 Historic American Buildings Survey as being of Italianate Design with Victorian Gothic details.

At the time, it was one of the largest estates in all of Pennsylvania and was comprised of 684 acres. It was so large that it had 4 railroad stations on the property.

The Pennsylvania blue marble and blue limestone was quarried directly on the estate. Water to the home traveled from a distant spring 2600 feet away and was capable of supplying 12,400 gallons in a 24 hour period.

By 1877, the home had a telephone so that Mr. Lockwood could call for assistance in case any “burglers or tramps” were on his property. He was so concerned about safety that the all the doors and windows were wired with a burglar alarm.

Lockwood wanted to become a “Country Farmer” and built the home 25 miles from the city of Philadelphia, where his business, W. E. & E. Dunbar Lockwood, manufacturers of patent folding boxes, envelopes, tags, etc., was located.

After 20 years of driving by this old home, I finally got my chance at a tour which you can view in the video below. Stay tuned for the video tour of the basement in the weeks ahead.

You can watch the tour via the video below or watch in the recommended method – full-screen high-definition by clicking here and once there, click on the four arrows in the lower right to expand to full screen.

arrows

Once you have viewed the tour, don’t forget to view the HABS documentation on Loch Aerie below and visit here if you would like to receive email updates when new tours are added to the site.

Video Tour:

Loch Aerie Mansion Tour from Old House Tours on Vimeo.

Photo Tour:

Loch Aerie (AKA Lockwood Estate)

For more information, take a look at the Historic American Buildings survey on the home performed in 1958:

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Loch Aerie”

1. Chris says:

Wow, that is a great house. Too bad it hasn’t aged very well (or maybe a lack of money to take care of it). Still a great house though, despite the home depot next door.

2. Alexis says:

Thanks so much for the video, it is so neat to be able to see the inside and hear the history of the property.

3. Sabine says:

Thank you for taking this video. What wonderful house and what a shame that there’s Home Depot so close. Who authorizes things like that?! No respect for history and the efforts of our forefathers!

4. Melissa says:

Hello Thanks for the tour you did on this house. I have some personal pictures of this house from when I was a kid. My grandmother lived here at one time with the owner. I think his name was Tony. I know that he owned it for years and now wonder what happen to him? I have pictures of the inside at Christmas time and I think there is one of My brother and I outside playing in the yard in the snow. It is a shame that the lake is gone and home depot moved in next door.

5. michael zeminski says:

Great video! thank you so much. I have lived in the area and always wanted to know what it looked like inside. Unfort I go to that home depot often but always wondered what it used to look like. The history behind it is fab! I went to high school with someone that lived there for a few months back in the late 80′s. Thanks again!!

6. Jim says:

I actually lived in this house with my uncle from 1985 to 1987 when I graduated high school.

My uncle moved out ~2005. Home Depot also land grabbed most of what acreage was left from the original estate. At least they designed their store with gothic eaves to match the house.

7. Ryan says:

Thanks for sharing this, along with all the other great photos and videos on your site. This house is pretty spectacular, despite the damage here and there. Shame about the Home Depot parking lot though!

Also, although I can’t speak with any real authority on this subject, I think those light colored round things atop the newel posts may actually have been original to the house. I lived in two old houses that had similar newel post decorations, and I’ve been told that they’re called mortgage buttons. It was supposedly a Victorian custom to place an ivory or mother of pearl “button” on top of a newel post when one’s mortgage was paid off, or, as was probably the case with this home, when there was no mortgage to begin with. Evidently it was a somewhat subtle way to make sure your guests knew you were doing well financially.

8. Lynn Ramage' says:

I am so happy to have found this!!! In 1980 my dad a former Hatboro police officer and historian took me here. It was abandoned. We walked carefully around the house and I was able to take pictures! I was a major in Interior design then and found this to be breathtaking! I know I still have pictures of this from 1980 somewhere. I hope that there is a committee to see that this is not torn down! I belong to the Glen Foerd mansion committee and these homes Need to be saved!!!

9. admin says:

If you still have the old photos, please share!

10. Jim says:

how do we submit photos?

11. admin says:

Just send them to me: info [at] oldhousetours.com. I don’t have a submit function otherwise. Thanks.

12. Larry says:

I’ve always enjoyed old houses and have had a lifelong dream of finding a diamond in the rough and save it from destruction. Several years ago I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to salvage eight Federal style entablatures from a mansion that was about to be demolished. I arrived on the site at five o’clock one cold October morning so that I could be the first one to lay claim to my new found treasures. The house was called Briar Hill and was built in the early 1920’s, with the architect being Horace Trumbauer for clients, William and Eleanor Elkins. The house that I am hoping to break ground on sometime within the next few weeks is a 21st century adaption of Hammond Harwood House which is in Annapolis, MD, and was built in 1770. Those incredible entablatures will grace the entry ways of my dream house, albeit a 2011 version. I hope that Mr. & Mrs. Elkins along with Mr. Trumbauer will be pleased.

13. Denise says:

I just came across your 2009 tour of the Loch Aerie Mansion. As a child my siblings and I had the privilege of spending many hours visiting and playing in this wonderful place. I have many pictures of us taken on the grounds and by the spectacular fountain. Did you see on your tour the “secret” passage way in the master bedroom
    closet leading to the maids chamber? There is also a hidden passage way in the pantry to the basement. I was told it was built to hide soldiers who were brought there for refuge. Imagine playing “house” in the tower. We had more than one unexplained experience there! The mansion has survived vagrants, a fire, motorcycle gangs, a Home Depot- it needs to be preserved. Standing in the tower you really do get a feeling you are not alone. I suppose Mr. Lockwood for all good reasons is still trying to protect his property.

14. admin says:

Amazing, thanks for sharing. I did not see the passageways. If you have any pictures that I could share on the blog, I would love to see them.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Loch Aerie Basement Tour | Old House Tours - April 11, 2009

[...] you’ve seen the rest of the house in our previous tour.  Here is the bonus footage – a walk down into the basement and through the underground storage [...]

2. Marooned and Desolate in Frazer: Lockwood Mansion (“Loch Aerie”) | chestercountyramblings - February 19, 2012

[...] don’t build ‘em like Loch Aeire / Lockwood Mansion anymore .  But much like La Ronda in Bryn Mawr once sat rotting in her faded glory, so does this home.  [...]